Trouble running awk & deployment of Cygwin

Dave Korn dk@artimi.com
Fri May 14 16:54:00 GMT 2004

  Which, as has been explained, was the underlying cause of the problem.

>  So, this should work fine.  I wonder why I was getting
> the error since nothing should have changed?

  Apart from the fact that you are now executing an actual executable file,
rather than inadvertently executing an ascii text file.

> Also, contrary to what some believed I wasn't running awk from a DOS
> prompt.  I was running a bash shell script that was using the
> command.

  I think you simply have to be wrong.  There is no question whatsoever that
what has happened is that a file full of ASCII has been invoked as if it
were a 16-bit DOS executable.  Only DOS would do that.  For a start, only
DOS would try to execute a file just because it has '.exe' at the end.

> It worked on my machine but didn't work on another.

  Have you tried comparing the cygcheck output from both of them to look for
differences?  Is it possible the other machine has a duplicate copy of the
executable rather than a symlink?  Let's see the output from "ls -la
/bin/*awk*" on both machines.  Let's see the content of your shell script.
This can't have been happening for just no reason.

    cheers,
      DaveK