mutt and ssmtp on Cygwin on Windows Server 2003 'child exited 127'

Brian Ford ford@vss.fsi.com
Wed May 19 14:28:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004, gert_de_boer wrote:

> Somehow I do not succeed in configuring mutt or ssmtp with Cygwin on a
> Windows 2003 server.
>
> As an example of what happens:
>
> $ echo hallo | mutt -s new_test myname@mycompany.com
> Error sending message, child exited 127 (Exec error.).
> Could not send the message.
>
> The error is exactly the same as when I have a wrong 'sendmail' defined in
> my .muttrc on a server where cygwin runs without any problem.  However I
> defined it correct:
> set sendmail=/usr/sbin/ssmtp
>
> Executing ssmtp on its own delivers an empty mail at myname@mycompany.com,
> so the error is not there.
>
> It all works without any problem on Windows XP and Windows 2000.
>
> So it seems something has changed in Windows 2003: for some reason mutt
> cannot trigger ssmtp to do its job.
>
> Something similar seems to happen between the CYGWIN cron service and the
> scripts it is supposed to start. Nothing happens, but if I look in the
> eventviewer I see the following order of events:
>
> PID 3188: (myaccount) RELOAD (tabs/myaccount)
>
> PID 3392: (myaccount) CMD (/home/myaccount/bin/test_mail.sh)
>
> PID 3392: (CRON) error (can't switchuser context)
>
> So it is just an idea of mine that somehow (some) programs are not able to
> start others, due to some rigid security settings.
>
> BTW, all the above is done as with a group account with administrator
> rights on the server.

Please read the Windows 2003 Server section of
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README and see if that helps.  I know it
sounds weird, but trust me, it is relevant.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer