PLEASE TEST: Latest Cygwin snapshot == 1.5.10 alpha

Thu May 20 11:38:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

since we're heading with big steps towards Cygwin version 1.5.10, I'd
like to encourage as many of you as possible to give the latest developer
snapshot a test.

  http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Many bugfixes and some interesting changes have been made and some new
functionality have been added.  The most important patches are listed below.

As usual, send bug reports to cygwin@cygwin.com, see

  http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Send bug fixes to cygwin-patches@cygwin.com.

Thanks,
Corinna

Changes since 1.5.9-1:

- Improve cygheap debugging, Fix heap size problems in child processes.
  (Christopher Faylor)

- Add sound recording capabilities and most Open Sound System (OSS)
  compliant ioctls.  Perform general improvements to audio code.
  (Gerd Spalink)

- Simplify and speed up path handling. (Pierre Humblet)

- Fix SIGCHLD handling. (Christopher Faylor)

- Fix shmat to succeed also for valid shmids not get by calling shmget.
  (Corinna Vinschen)

- Improve thread safety of newlib's file I/O functions. (Thomas Pfaff)

- Rewrite tape code to operate like Linux SCSI tape driver.  Documentation
  in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/mt.README from the latest mt package.
  (Corinna Vinschen)

- Add SIGPIPE handling to sendmsg. (Corinna Vinschen)

- Change socket send/recv to asynchronouos socket I/O to solve signal handling
  problems in blocking socket calls.  (Corinna Vinschen)

- Add libtextreadmode.a to allow setting only file input to O_TEXT by default.
  (Corinna Vinschen)

- Speed up stat-like file operations. Minimize file open/close calls.
  in NT. (Corinna Vinschen)

- Fix lseek return code in case of error. (Corinna Vinschen)

- 16 byte align stacks to allow SSE operations.  (DJ Delorie)

- Ensure that newly created threads are always ready to receive a signal.
  (Christopher Faylor)

- Fix two races with multithreaded programs which use sockets.
  (Christopher Faylor)

- Ensure that correct errno is set for failing opens.  (Christopher Faylor)

- Fix so that cygwin works correctly on Windows 95.  (Pierre Humblet)

- Make lstat return the correct size for symbolic links. (Pierre Humblet)

- Make /dev/mem access work again.  (Corinna Vinschen)

- Fix problems with "find /".  (Pierre Humblet)

- Fix problem where simultaneous attempts to open new ptys could lead to the
  same pty being opened multiple times.  (Christopher Faylor)

- Implement flockfile, ftrylockfile, funlockfile, getgrgid_r, getgrnam_r and
  getlogin_r.  (Corinna Vinschen)