shortcut to start xemacs in bash cygwin window

Edwin Goei Edwin.Goei@Sun.COM
Sun May 23 12:13:00 GMT 2004

Edwin Goei wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>

>> FWIW, you can dispense with the batch file, and simply make a shortcut to
>> "C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -c 'cygstart /usr/bin/xemacs'"[*].  You can
>> then set the shortcut to start minimized.
>>     Igor
>> [*] I put /usr/bin/xemacs here, since xemacs is now a Cygwin package.
>

> Thanks.  I changed my shortcut and it seems to work...

Actually, it does not work the same.  I have lowercase environment
variables set when bash starts up and cygstart seems to capitalize them.
:-(  I don't want them captialized because I use the vars as
abbreviations to long directory paths.  For example,

export ws=~/path/to/some/dir

I then can use $ws in xemacs.

BTW, is there a better way to handle abbreviations like this?  There are
other disadvantages when adding a new path because it then needs to be
added to process-environment and to all my shell-mode buffers.

-Edwin