GCC 3.3.1 problem with printf %Lg %Lg and -m128bit-long-double compile option

Brian Ford ford@vss.fsi.com
Thu May 27 23:30:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Hallo mathias,
>
> > GCC 3.3.1 has a problem when printing multiple long double variables using
> > printf and the -m128bit-long-double compile option on a Pentium-based
> > machine.
>
> Seems to be a bug in gcc, for bug reporting instructions, please see:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html.

No disrespect intended Mr. GCC maintainer, but I'm pretty sure that is
expected behavior.  See "info gcc" in the -m128bit-long-double section:

     *Warning:* if you override the default value for your target ABI,
     the structures and arrays containing `long double' will change
     their size as well as function calling convention for function
     taking `long double' will be modified.  Hence they will not be
     binary compatible with arrays or structures in code compiled
     without that switch.

Cygwin/newlib would need to be recompiled with this switch for proper
printf operation.  Why are you trying to use this switch, Mathias?

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer