New install of 1.5.10 replacing 1.5.6: many things not working

Brian Ford ford@vss.fsi.com
Fri May 28 16:38:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Joe Landman wrote:

> Hi folks:
>
>   I have multiple machines with 1.5.6 installed.  I wanted to upgrade to
> 1.5.10 (bug fixes, speed, etc).  Stuff worked (for the most part) in
> 1.5.6. I was/am looking to using it for application development on windows.

Are you trying to upgrade just the Cygwin package, or all Cygwin packages?

>   With 1.5.10 install, I get error messages about find.exe being given
> bad arguments.

This usually means you have a PATH problem and are getting the Windows
version of find rather than the Cygwin one.

> Many of the post-install scripts die with problems with grep (more in a
> moment).  When I open the cygbash shell, it puts me into /usr/bin by
> default,

Check you /etc/passwd file and make sure your user home directory is set
correctly.

> and the moment I cd out of there, I lose any ability to run
> basic commands such as ls.

Sounds like . is in your PATH, but /usr/bin isn't.

> Anything that tries to use grep is rewarded with an error message about
> /bin/grep not existing.  Quick ls'ing around (find does not work...
> sigh) does not locate a grep.
>
> Ok, I may be thick, but I think that there might be a problem here.
>
> The machines with problems:
>
> 1) Windows XP Home laptop.  SP1 installed.   512 MB ram
>
> 2) Windows 2000 desktop.  SP_something_or_other installed.  768 MB ram
>
> Both had similar working copies of 1.5.6 installed.  Starting up the
> cygbash shell resulted in being in the /home/landman directory (where I
> thought I should be).  Everything properly pathed out in the older version.
>
> Any thoughts?  I don't have to re-install the OS... (I hope :( ).

Try a Cygwin reinstall after checking out your PATH issues.

Please read this:

and attach cygcheck output.  Maybe then someone will have a better idea.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer