cygwin and scsi tape drive.

Brian Ford ford@vss.fsi.com
Fri May 28 16:39:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Marc Schare wrote:

> Joshua Daniel Franklin <joshuadfranklin <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Have you read
> >
> > <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html>?
> >
> > Particularly the part about "Note that you can't use the mount table
> > to map from fixed device name to your own device name."
>
> I did read the note, but I don't think I'm trying to do that. Again, here is
> the result from the mount command:

I think you are.

> C:\Documents and Settings\Marc>mount
> C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
> C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
> \device\tape0 on /dev/st0 type system (binmode)

/dev/st0 is a virtual device in Cygwin that corresponds to \device\tape0
in Windows NT+.  You are trying to remake this association via the mount
table.  Why?

> C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
> \\.\tape0 on /dev/st1 type system (binmode)

What is that for?  /dev/st1 is a Cygwin virtual device that corresponds to
\device\tape1 in Windows NT+.  You are trying to reassociate that via
mount.  You must not have understood the Users Guide section quoted above
at all.

> \.tape0 on /dev/tape type system (binmode)

Try simply ln -s /dev/st0 /dev/tape

> c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
> d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)
>
> Which clearly states that \device\tape0 is mounted on /dev/st0, which
> tells me I should be able to use /dev/st0, but when I try, I get this:

Only if those mounts don't exist.

> C:\Documents and Settings\Marc>mt -f /dev/st0 status
> mt: /dev/st0: No such file or directory

You have really confused things with the mounts.

> For grins, I also tried this:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Marc>mt -f \device\tape0 status
> mt: \device\tape0: No such file or directory

I assume you properly quoted those '\' or used a cmd shell?  Anyway, don't
expect POSIX device behavior if you use a Windows device path.

> Without success. The ls command can find the drive:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Marc>ls -l /dev/st0
> crw-rw-rw-    1 Marc     None       9,   0 May 28 11:57 /dev/st0
>
> So.. what am I doing wrong?

Don't use mount.

--
Brian Ford