ls /dev/*

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Nov 3 15:38:00 GMT 2004


Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Sorry. I should have read further. Apparently the OP just wants 
> *something* in /dev even if it is not what "should" be there.

The question of "should" is subjective I would think. I worry sometimes, 
since /dev is "special" and a "pseudo" directory that what I'm doing my 
break things in some manner. To date it works just fine. And, as I've 
said, to me, disk drives are devices. Somebody suggested /mnt. To me 
that's more for remote mounts, so my Z drive might be better suited for 
/mnt but C and D are local and I would expect them in /dev not 
/mnt.though one could argue that they too are mounted. Right now we are 
just talking personal preferences...

> I suggest just making the directory and downloading interesting jpeg 
> images to the directory. That's what I'd do.

Hell a touch /dev/file would work (except other special things in /dev 
like clipboard will not list - but curiously list with ls /dev/clipboard)!

-- 
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.


--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list