ls /dev/*

Rolf Campbell thats.unpossible@gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 20:02:00 GMT 2004

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> While, you are welcome to redefine /cygdrive any way you want, the
>> unix paradigm does not put filesystems under /dev. That is for devices.
> To me, a disk drive IS a device. YMMV! :-)
A disk drive is a device, but /cygdrive/c is not a disk-drive.  It's a
file-system contained in a partition contained on a disk-drive
(usually).  In unix-like systems, the disk-drive and the partition are
available as devices along with the file-system.  The disk-drive in
/dev/ is a flat-device.  All bytes available sequentially as a single image.

I recall that there is a way to access the disks as real devices under
NT/2000/XP using some strange notation.  It might make sense to mount
those under /dev/, but to mount your C-drive there would not be
consistant with what /dev/ was designed for.

-Rolf