Cannot start sshd service

Walter Garcia-Fontes walter.garcia@upf.edu
Sat Nov 6 10:31:00 GMT 2004

* Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> [041105 19:54]:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote ([snip]ped):
>
> > Here I answer to all the suggestions of Gerrit and Igor:
> >
> > Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu> [041105 10:23]:

> Wrong log ("system"?).  Look in the "application" log...

Chapeau Igor! Here was the problem. I checked the "application log"
and found:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The
following information is part of the event: sshd : PID 3468 : starting
service `a' failed: redirect_fd: open (1, /var/log/sshd.log): 13,
Permission denied.

So I went to /var/log and saw that sshd.log belonged to the SYSTEM
account, but was not writable. Making it writable solved the problem.

Cheers!

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
Barcelona