long command executed via a variable fails

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Wed Nov 17 16:05:00 GMT 2004


Geoffrey KRETZ schrieb:
> I've got a problem with a shell script used with Cygwin 1.5.10-3 on 
> W2000 SP4 and W XP SP 2.
> 
> The following part of code works on all the Unix I've tested 
> (HP-UX/AIX/Sun Solaris/Linux).
> 
> With Cygwin,  it doesn't :(
> 
> 
> *Code:*
> 
> cmd="long shell command with differents parameters"
> if [ ! eval $cmd ]; then
>  echo "Error : $cmd"
>  exit 1
> fi
> 
> 
> 
> instead of eval $cmd, i've tried :
> - `eval $cmd`
> - eval `$cmd`
> - $cmd
> - `$cmd`
> 
> I've also try with a function without more success.
> 
> *Code:*
> 
> execCmd()
> {
>  eval $cmd
>  return $?
> }
> 
> cmd="long shell command with differents parameters"
> if [ ! execCmd ]; then
>  echo "Error : $cmd"
>  exit 1
> fi
> 
> 
> 
> The only way I've find is :
> 
> *Code:*
> 
> cmd="long shell command with differents parameters"
> eval $cmd
> if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
>  echo "Error : $cmd"
>  exit 1
> fi
> 
> Is it possible to make it work like the two first exemple or I'm obliged 
> to use the third solution ?

FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC43
cygwin's /bin/sh is ash, on most other platforms it is /bin/bash.

If you want it to behave it exactly like on other platforms, and you use
bash specific constructs, use the /bin/bash shebang.

-- 
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list