long command executed via a variable fails

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Wed Nov 17 17:43:00 GMT 2004

Geoffrey KRETZ schrieb:
> Reini Urban wrote:
>> FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC43
>> cygwin's /bin/sh is ash, on most other platforms it is /bin/bash.
>>
>> If you want it to behave it exactly like on other platforms, and you use
>> bash specific constructs, use the /bin/bash shebang.
>>
> If I specified  "#! /bin/bash" at the first line of my shell script, is
> it enough to make Cygwin understand that I want to use bash instead of
> ash ??

sure. you'd need to do that on every platform if you use bash specifics.
it is considered good style.

but as igor already posted, your problem is only marginally better on
bash. you should really use exact quoting: test 'eval "$cmd"'
or even better use Igor suggestions with testing against the return value.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/