scp exits often with -1

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Thu Nov 18 15:54:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 09:15:49AM +0100, J?rg Schaible wrote:
>Dave Korn wrote on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 7:20 PM:
>>So basically what you've done is say to yourself "I'll just send tons
>>and tons of stuff (which I know will be of no use or interest to 99.9%
>>of the recipients) to absolutely everyone in the hopes that it might be
>>relevant to even just one or two people."
>>
>>That's the same approach that spammers take.  It's just plain wrong.
>
>Well, this *is* the list for reporting problems with Cygwin.  Sorry,
>that I missed among all the other 450 mail per month, the one Chris
>stated, that he don't want straces sent to list without further asking.

My reason for stating this is that the majority of people who send strace
output snip the wrong part.  Often people snip something that they think
shows a problem and send that lines and the next hundred lines.  It turns
out to be wasted bandwidth.

strace is a tool for people who are willing to look at source code.  Sending
megabytes of an unsolicited strace before someone has indicated that they
are willing to help is usually pointless.

FWIW, I ran scp in a loop sending a large file to a system on my local
network and to sourceware.org for hours a couple of days ago without
problems.

If this is a problem with the new pipe code then maybe Bob Byrnes could
offer some insight.

cgf