Executing ssh from perl

Stephen Studley sstudley@adobe.com
Thu Nov 18 20:56:00 GMT 2004

At 3:39 PM -0500 11/18/04, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>  > unfortunately, no change in my results.
>>  BTW: I have ssh configured for passwordless connection.
>
>You *did* properly escape the command string, right?  Otherwise,
>
>my $str = `ssh -n user@machine.domain ls`;
>
>will try to interpolate the contents of the array @machine into the
>command...  You need to use
>
>my $str = `ssh -n user\@machine.domain ls`;
>
>BTW, the -n flag is still useful, since some commands don't properly run
>otherwise.

yep, everything is escaped as needed. I know that by looking at the
debug output:
debug1: Sending command: ls <path to file I care about>

I've also printed the command to stdout and pasted it into a windows
cmd shell and cygwin terminal with success.

If I use system("<cmd>"); instead of `<cmd>`;, the command returns 0,
(no hang).  Unfortunately system wont work for my needs, as it is
critical I evaluate stdout:stderr.

I do appreciate your help.
Stephen