select() read() and write() on /dev/console

Jason Curl j.m.curl@optusnet.com.au
Sun Nov 21 14:11:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 06:46:56PM +0100, Jason Curl wrote:
>
>>My question, how do I go about investigating what the root cause is? Has
>>anybody else seen similar issues and been able to work around it? I'm
>>stuck and I've never seen the source code to cygwin before.
>

> If you suspect a problem with the cygwin DLL then you can build a
> debugging version of the cygwin DLL and debug it using gdb.
>
> Most of the console handling is in fhandler_console.cc.  The select
> handling is in select.cc.  Look for the string "console" there.
>
> Instructions for building the DLL are in the FAQ:
>
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC101

Created a test to try and localise the problem a little more. Just using
the console on it's own doesn't appear to create the problem (I write to
the console, read from the console).

The application I've written that shows this problem is involving a
serial port (in/out), a disk file for logging (out) and the console
(in/out). I'll keep replying to this post as I find out more information.

Thanks,
Jason.