Manual page width is fixed and I'd like it not to be

Aaron Miller amiller@connext.net
Mon Nov 22 23:51:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 01:18:07AM -0500, Aaron Miller wrote:
>
>>Aaron Miller wrote:

>>>Thanks, but that's the exact backwards of what I'm looking for; I
>>>could've been clearer in my original message. The command line with
>>>which I start my usual xterm sets it to 120 columns, and I frequently
>>>size it up from there. This seems to be the usual mode of operation
>>>under Unix; for example, when I've ssh'd into a Linux box from a Cygwin
>>>xterm, manual pages are formatted to the terminal width instead of a
>>>hard eighty(ish) columns.
>>>
>>>Thanks again.
>>
>>...and, wow, is my grammar lousy tonight, so
>>s/This seems to/Formatting manual page text to window size seems to/
>

> We have a mailing list for discussing x issues - cygwin-xfree .  Please use
> this mailing list for queries regarding xterm.  The xterm developer actually
> follows this list.
>
> As a wild guess, however, I'm wondering if eval `resize -s` would fix your
> problems.

Thanks for the pointer, and I'll ask on the cygwin-xfree list as well.
It's not really a query about xterm, though: using a shortcut that
starts bash in a standard Windows command-shell which is 100 columns
wide, if I ask for a manual page, I still get it formatted to eighty
columns. I mentioned xterms since that's what I prefer to use, but it's
not by any means a problem exclusive to those.

I tried 'eval `resize -s`', but that didn't help me any; the problem
isn't in getting the terminal size to be recognized in general, but
rather in getting specifically the 'man' command to recognize it.

Thanks again.

-- Aaron