jgraph with cygwin and Windows XP

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Nov 24 19:00:00 GMT 2004

Torsten,

Please use the Cygwin mailing list (<cygwin at cygwin dot com>) to report
Cygwin problems.  Not only do you get access to more expertise than any
one person can provide, but your questions and the answers to them get
archived on the web for others to see.  For your convenience, I've
directed this reply to the main Cygwin list, and set the Reply-To
accordingly.  More below.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Torsten Dittel wrote:

> Hi,
> sorry for my ignorance, but I just tried to use "jgraph" on my Windows XP
> system and it doesn't work. :-(
>
> I installed the latest cygwin package. I included the jgraph 8.3-1 package (at
> least I have now a "jgraph.exe" file in my "C:\cygwin\bin" folder.
>
> A Perl script is trying without success to process e.g. the following .jgr
> file:
>
> ==== this line is not part of the file but marks its beginning ====
> newgraph
>
> yaxis min 0 label : MB/sec
> xaxis min 0.25  no_auto_hash_labels no_auto_hash_mark
> label : Components
> hash_label at 1 : 1
> hash_label at 2 : 2
> hash_label at 3 : 3
> hash_label at 4 : 4
> newcurve
> marktype xbar
> marksize 0.5
> pts
> 1 412.397983
> 2 269.653276
> 3 383.547853
> 4 535.458026
> ==== this line is not part of the file but marks its end ====
>
> If I do now a "jpraph filename.jgr" I'll get an error message which is
>
> filename.jgr,1: Bad token: newgraph
>
> How is this possible? "newgraph" is a jgraph token, isn't it?
>
> I'm stuck. PLEASE help, I have to do this on a Windoze machine!
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Torsten

This looks like a textmode/binmode issue.  The jgraph binary is compiled
the same way as on Unix, so it's possible that using the CRLF line endings
in the .jgr file will confuse it (it'll think that the CR is part of teh
token).  Try running dos2unix on the .jgr file and see if it helps.

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT