PATH and SystemRoot oddity
Brian Dessent
brian@dessent.net
Fri Nov 26 08:07:00 GMT 2004
Luke Kendall wrote:
> I see that by default PATH includes some entries like
> %SystemRoot%/System32
>
> I also note that $SystemRoot is undefined, yet $SYSTEMROOT contains the
> expected C:\WINDOWS value.
>
> This of course causes problems. Would a backslash-style path work
> correctly if it were properly interpolated into the PATH? Is the %
> notation special magic for Cygwin to handle DOS-isms?
>
> The case variance may be of interest, in that case.
I think you're falsely attributing your errors to this. The cygwin DLL
takes care of all the win32 -> posix translation of the path, and it
knows about %SystemRoot%. If this were really the case don't you think
tons of things would break? Try "echo $PATH" at your shell prompt and
you'll see that the systemroot is correctly substituted.
FWIW, I think environment variables are case-insensitive at the win32
API level. They preserve case but are not sensitive to it, just like
ntfs.
Brian
--
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list