uw-imap & Cygwin secrets revealed, at least a bit!

Christian Weinberger christian.weinberger@directbox.com
Mon Nov 29 06:50:00 GMT 2004

The initial problem was:
- uw-imap on cygwin ran well with Outlook Express
- but hung upon connection when using Outlook 2003

In the end I made it to get it work with the following workaround:
In inetd.conf, I don´t start the daemon directly, but use the following wrapper
script.

#!/bin/sh
tee NUL | /usr/sbin/imapd

This slows down communication a bit, but I can connect and had no more hangs up
till now. So the original problem seems to be timing specific.

My guesses are:
- the cygwin port of uw-imap may have a problem here. I couldn´t find any
similar error reports for any other platform uw-imap is running on.
- cygwin causes the problem itself
- inetd is out of the line since I also tested with xinetd and had similar
effects

I´d be glad to assist one of the "gurus" going deeper into this.

Even more, I´d like to invest more time again to debug it myself, but my gdb
knowledge is non-existing. If someone would show me how to start, the I
definitely would do so. My concern is that usual debugging approaches will fail
because of the timing related cause of the problem.

Thanks to all of you so far!
Christian