A vexing installation problem

Larry Hall lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com
Mon Nov 29 23:50:00 GMT 2004

At 06:17 PM 11/29/2004, you wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 05:22:28PM -0500, Larry Hall wrote:
>> >
>> >File permissions appear ok as far as I can tell.  The 'strace' output
>> >seems consistent with no permission problems; I'm able to execute all
>> >commands, cygwin1.dll is found, and things run for a short while
>> >before dying.
>>
>> But with no output, right?  No dump file, nothing?
>
>Correct.

Huh.

>> >'strace sh.exe' looks like any other command I try:

>> >  564  105230 [main] bash 3892 cygheap_user::ontherange: what 2, pw 0xA0510C8
>> >  224  105454 [main] bash 3892 cygheap_user::ontherange: HOME is already in the environment /cygdrive/h
>> >  756  106210 [main] bash 3892 sigproc_init: process/signal handling enabled(1001)
>> >  365  106575 [main] bash 3892 __cygwin_lock_lock: threadcount 1. not locking
>> >  304  106879 [main] bash 3892 __cygwin_lock_unlock: threadcount 1. not unlocking
>>

>> This isn't the strace of 'sh.exe'.  It's the strace of 'bash.exe'.  Can
>> you try 'sh.exe' and see if it's different.  FWIW, the lines you provided
>> above I can find in my strace of 'bash.exe'.  Mine goes on however.
>
>You're right.  The output for 'sh.exe' is identical to 'bash.exe' with
>'sh' substituted for 'bash'.

OK.

>> If you have 1.5.5 now that works for you, you can use that to bootstrap
>> your build and get a debug version of the current DLL to look at and
>> debug into.  That might be your best bet.  You can definitely get more
>> context that way, if you're so inclined.
>
>I do not have a fully functional 1.5.5 installation; all I could find
>was a tarball that includes a few commands (ps, kill, regtool, dumper,
>mount/umount, setfacl/getfacl, passwd, mkpasswd, mkgroup, cygpath, and
>cygcheck).  The combination of unavailability of old distributions,
>and unavailability of a debug version of the current DLL, is kind of a
>pisser.
>
>I've got another system on my desk (also XP SP2) with the latest
>Cygwin that works fine.  That system has a clean OS install; the one
>with problems has been upgraded over several years by Windows Update.
>I can try to build a debug DLL on that system but had hoped for a
>quicker diagnosis.

Yeah, I understand.  This is certainly not your everyday issue, as you've
noticed.  I suppose it's worthwhile to look at the settings for the Windows
firewall to see if it's being overly restrictive or limiting in some way.
Sorry, I don't have any other ideas other than getting down into it with
more details...

Holliston, MA 01746