Excessive CPU load (cygrunsrv.exe, tail.exe, etc)

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Fri Oct 1 00:15:00 GMT 2004

Steve B wrote:

> I do not believe that I am using Process Explorer.

So then it's apparently not required that Process Explorer be running to
trigger this process.

> This CPU load overload can reliably be triggered by Enemy Territory.
> Guaranteed, every time I run Enemy Territory, a cygwin process will
> begin to hog the CPU starting with cygrunsrv.exe every time, and will
> continue until either a) I keep killing (through the Windows task
> manager) each cygwin process that overloads until no more cygwin
> process exists so I can return to my game, or b) I terminate Enemy
> Territory through the Windows task manager and kill the cygwin process
> that is overloading, then no other cygwin processes will hog the cpu,
> but I cannot play Enemy Territory.

Well that's easy then. Stop playing games! :-)

Seriously though, maybe Enemy Territory is interrogating the process
table in a similar manner as Process Explorer is.

> I thought that since it could reliably be triggered this way, perhaps
> that might assist with any testing, if any.
>
> Another thing I noticed, after reading Andrew DeFaria post, was that
> csrss.exe would be using 25% of the CPU while the cygwin processes
> would hog about %75 of the CPU. I'm not sure what csrss.exe is,

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/csrss/

    csrss.exe is the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server
    Runtime Server Subsystem. This process manages most graphical
    commands in Windows. This program is important for the stable and
    secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

> except that I cannot kill it (Access Denied, even as Administrator).

That's what Process Explorer is for! It can kill things that the Task
Manager won't let you. Unfortunately killing some things, like this, is
very determental to your system (i.e. you reboot! IIRC).

--
Why isn't 11 pronounced "onety one"?