Shell script ignores $PATH?!

luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au
Tue Oct 5 07:51:00 GMT 2004

On  5 Oct, To: cygwin@cygwin.com wrote:
>  Unfortunately, despite setting PATH to use only a network-installed
>  Cygwin (and not include /bin, /usr/bin etc.), the shell script still
>  somehow decides to invoke /usr/bin/sh.

I have two more pieces of info: the shell is started by using
/usr/bin/sh if the script is simply invoked directly from bash by
typing its full pathname.

If I start it either via bash or sh, it runs using whatever bash or sh
is found from PATH.

So my guess is that when a script with no #!/path line is run, then the
default is to run /usr/bin/sh to start it, and the PATH simply doesn't
come into it.

luke