Request for a version/ revision/ release number for the whole cygwin release/ distribution

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Wed Oct 6 15:09:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 02:47:15PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
>Karl M schrieb:
>>What about calling it B21? ":>
>
>As already discussed on cygwin-talk and as officially described on the
>webpage, "B" stood for Beta that times (up to 1998).
>
>We are already stable since a few years, though we use uneven version
>numbers, marking it as developer releases.
>
><fun>
>So we could use "S1511" (stable 1.5.11)
>or "SS1511" (standalone stable 1.5.11)
>  - I obviously watched a lot of world war movies.
></fun>
>
>Go with the Redhat scheme and use "Cygwin 1.6.0".

Please don't do this.  Red Hat is using the even numbers.  I don't know
if there is already a 1.6.0 or not but there's certainly no reason to
irritate the organization which is providing the network bandwidth for
the cygwin release.

cgf