Known Issues: document missing POSIX compliance and other unexpected behaviour

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Wed Oct 6 16:15:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor schrieb:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 05:11:03PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
>>I found no document where missing POSIX functionality is listed
>>and where other non-POSIX but expected typical UNIX functionality and/or
>>behaviour are different or missing. The user guide is a bit short on that.
>
> The only way such a document would be useful would be if it was
> rigorously maintained.

ok.

> You show the reason why below when you quote out-of-date parts of the
> existing documentation.
> It is certainly worthwhile to sweep through the docs and get everything
> up-to-date, though.
>

>>select():
>> see http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/highlights.html#OV-HI-SELECT
>> TODO
>
> This points to a page which explains (in an outdated manner)
> implementation details of select.  I don't see how it applies.

It applies as a TODO item. :)

>>processes
>>---------
>>See the user-guide on fork, ipc, COFF, ...
>
> COFF?

Yes. Imho, the topic "processes" also includes loading a process.
And handling the data structures in which the process is stored,
even if not active ("loaded").
And COFF is good to known/explain in contrast to ELF or a.out.
Also for debugging purposes.

>>fork:
>>see http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC74 and
>>http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/highlights.html#OV-HI-PROCESS
>>
>>PID's:
>>Unfortunately cygwin must use seperate PID's than the
>>underlying windows PID's.
>>http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/highlights.html#OV-HI-PROCESS
>
> The documentation is out of date.  This is not true.
>
> I think I'll stop here.  You're showing that it would be worthwhile to
> go through the document and look for stuff that is out of date.
>
> I guess that would be a job for Corinna, Pierre, and me, since
> no one else seems to understand these issues.  If someone else wants
> to take a stab at it, however, please feel free.

Sure, but where?
In the list or elsewhere? As I suggested in a wiki for some while until
it is in the docs. Seems to work out good, even if it should be
"rigorously maintained", as you said.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/