Spurious "You have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your system."

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Thu Oct 7 06:24:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 02:49:29PM +1000, luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au wrote:
>After installing Cygwin by using a shell script running by executing
>bash from a network-installed Cygwin, the script fails when it tries to
>run a post-install script.  The error reported is:
>
>    bash-2.05b$ post-install.sh -which latest -fresh
>    c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe (3208): *** cygheap version mismatch detected - 0x616D000
>    0/0x61780000.
>    You have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your system.
>    Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
>    and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version *should*
>    reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
>    installed the cygwin distribution.
>
>A search showed that there really is only c:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll -
>the message is wrong.
>
>I'd say the sanity-check is detecting cygwin1.dll associated with the
>bash that's running from the network-mounted drive.

You wouldn't say that if you knew what "cygheap" was.  This is an indication
that a child executable is detecting that its cygheap is not at the same
location as the parent.  Since the cygheap lives at the end of the cygwin DLL
it's hard to see how this could be anything other than two different versions
of cygwin being invoked.