PostInstallLast addons?

Robin Bowes robin-lists@robinbowes.com
Sun Oct 10 09:20:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 06:19:07PM -0700, Lex Ein wrote:
>>"Cygwin Setup - Finish
>>
>> Create icons
>>    Have setup create icons for easy access to the Cygwin environment.
>>    [ ] Create icon on _Desktop
>>    [ ] Add icon to _Start Menu
>>
>> Optional tasks - (may take many minutes!)
>>    [ ] Build database (makewhatis) of man page short descriptions for
>>    'whatis' & 'apropos'.
>>    [ ] Build database (updatedb) of file names for 'locate'.
>>
>> Display README information at exit.
>>    [ ] Display /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/ directory of README files.
>

> I think that's a very good idea.  It would need to be conditional on the
> existence of man and, I guess, find, though.

In the context of some of the earlier posts in this thread, can I
suggest that the wording is a little less daunting to those not familiar
with nuix/cygwin. OK, so "Build database (makewhatis) of man page short
descriptions for 'whatis' & 'apropos'" may be technically correct, but
wouldn't something like this be more "helpful":

   Optional tasks - (may take many minutes!)
     [ ] Build help index (used by 'whatis' and 'apropos' commands)
     [ ] Build file index (used by 'locate' command)

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com