Compiling LAM MPI

Dalibor Topic robilad@kaffe.org
Mon Oct 11 13:49:00 GMT 2004

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Dalibor wrote:
>

>>Gerrit P. Haase <gp <at> familiehaase.de> writes:
>

>>>I have some replacement functions for inet_ntop & inet_pton which I
>>>found in the kaffe sources, these don't include coyright notices and
>>>compile ok on Cygwin.
>

>>Hallo Gerrit,
>

>>I've explicitely included them for Cygwin :)
>

> Hmm, then I fetched them before this happened;)
> Does that mean my version is not copyrighted then......?

Hmm, weird. Current replace/inet_*.c files in  Kaffe's CVS are licensed
under

/* Copyright (c) 1996 by Internet Software Consortium.
  *
  * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
  * purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
  * copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
  *
  * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND INTERNET SOFTWARE CONSORTIUM
DISCLAIMS
  * ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED
WARRANTIES
  * OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL INTERNET SOFTWARE
  * CONSORTIUM BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
  * DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR
  * PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS
  * ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
OF THIS
  * SOFTWARE.
  */

I got them from IRCII, which mentions that these files come from ISC:
ftp://ircftp.au.eterna.com.au/pub/ircII/ircii-current/ircii/doc/Copyright

The upstream source seems to be bind:

http://idsa.irisa.fr/cgi-bin/bind/http/source/lib/isc/inet_ntop.c

I hope this clears up any confusion wrt to licensing of the inet_*
files. Looking at the kaffe CVS, it seems that the files were checked in
from the start with appropriate copyright notices:

http://www.kaffe.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kaffe/replace/inet_ntop.c?annotate=1.1

So I guess you simply had a bit of bad luck with CVS :)

cheers,
dalibor topic