problem with find/grep

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Oct 12 16:42:00 GMT 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Daniel Miller wrote:

> On linux systems, I typically to global searches with a command such as:
>
>     	find . -name "*.[ch]*" -exec grep -H -n stuff {} \;
>
> and this works nicely.  However, when I try the same command under Cygwin
> (from a 4NT prompt, not Bash), I get "find: missing argument to '-exec' ".
> I tried a variety of modifications to the command but nothing makes this
> work.  What am I missing??

I'd bet it's the fact that 4NT uses different quoting mechanisms than
bash.  Try quoting the semicolon as ";" instead of \;.  You may also need
to quote the braces.  CGF uses 4NT, AFAIK, so he could probably provide
better hints.  I won't ask the implied "Why not use bash?" question...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw