libtool / assembler problem with -DPIC

Wed Oct 13 01:50:00 GMT 2004

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> With GNU as PIC is not an noop, when -DPIC is used to invoke gas the
> generated assembly is broken.  I saw this problem with a
> reautoconfiscated version of GMP.  This may be unusual, but there was
> libtool used to invoke gas.
>
> While -DPIC is a noop for usual compilation, it is harmful when used
> as gas flag to compile assembly, I suggest to remove it entirely when
> target is cygwin. Change would be in libtool.m4 line 4971 ff in
> libtool-1.5.10.
>
> Alternative: don't pass flag through when gas is called.

I don't see anywhere that "-DPIC" is ever invoked on cygwin.  Please
send a patch to libtool.m4 that fixes the problem for you.

BTW, somebody mentioned libtool CVS branch-2.0 as being too "cutting
edge" for cygwin use...FYI, libtool-cvs-branch2.0 passes ALL regression
tests which is better than libtool has EVER done on our platform.  I'm
thinking of releasing a test version of the next beta...

--
Chuck