Distributing Cygwin-based software

Soeren Nils Kuklau chucker@mystfans.com
Fri Oct 15 23:23:00 GMT 2004

Jani Tiainen wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> Can I have a copy of your source code please?

Soon :-)

> Only if daemon is published (or distributed)... =)

Give us a few weeks and we'll release it to the outside. Source and
binaries for Mac OS X and Linux/x86.

D N wrote:

> Srvany?
>
> Try that out :)

Thanks, we will.

> sha1sum.exe?

Calling an external tool for generating password hashes seems awkward.
We do have openssl-devel installed, and the `sha.h' header file looks
identical to the one we're used to (from OS X), so we're unsure why this
bug is occurring. Since I haven't found any info on this on the 'net,
I'll have to assume the mistake is somewhere in our code :-)

Before we've fixed that, however, we can obviously not release a Windows
(Cygwin) binary.

As to the comments about this thread being on the wrong mailing list:

1) I don't want to be a bother - if a list moderator wants this
discussion to stop, I'll stop, and I hereby apologize for any trouble
I've apparently caused.

2) I personally believe that Cygwin is primarily an environment, and not
a distribution. We do use Cygwin to build our project, because Cygwin
feels less "alien" from our point of view. At the same time, however, we
do not want Windows-based users to feel forced into Cygwin's behaviours.
We want to distribute a Windows application - GPL'd, with some
Unix-style quirks, and compatible to the other major OS'es out there,
but Windows nevertheless. Those who truly want a full Unix experience
wouldn't use Windows in the first place, and thus not Cygwin either.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

--
Soeren 'Chucker' Kuklau