Distributing Cygwin-based software

Soeren Nils Kuklau chucker@mystfans.com
Sat Oct 16 00:29:00 GMT 2004

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Soeren Nils Kuklau wrote:
>

>> [ sha1 call doesn't link ]
>

>Try linking it with -lcrypto? ;-)  I'm surprised it works on OS/X, though.

LDFLAGS = -lpthread -lcrypto

We do. ;-)

> This is *not* the right list for discussing how to subvert the existing
>
>Cygwin installations on users' machines by distributing your own copy of
>cygwin1.dll (though this *has* been discussed in the past - search the
>list archives).

Okay, but what /would/ be the right place? Since I don't think people
will be willing to install Cygwin just for being able to use a single
other piece of software...

Think Gtk for Windows programs (such as Gaim): they come with the proper
frameworks included, so the user won't have to worry about that.

>Cygwin is an emulation layer.  The Cygwin distribution contains a set of
>packages that use this emulation layer.

Exactly - but where to discuss projects that use the emulation layer and
aren't part of the distribution (thought they might eventually be)?

>>At the same time, however, we do not want Windows-based users to feel
>>forced into Cygwin's behaviours.  We want to distribute a Windows
>>application - GPL'd, with some Unix-style quirks, and compatible to the
>>other major OS'es out there, but Windows nevertheless.
>>

>So maybe the MinGW project is more like what you're looking for, then.

Indeed; we're looking into it.

>>Those who truly want a full Unix experience wouldn't use Windows in the
>>first place, and thus not Cygwin either.
>>

>This is not true at all (to put it mildly).  Those who want POSIX behavior
>on Windows *will* (and *do*) use Cygwin.  But this particular point is
>better <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TITTTL>ed.

Right, but I wouldn't define "POSIX behaviour" as "full Unix experience" ;-)

But yes, that's OT.

Thanks for the responses,

--
Soeren 'Chucker' Kuklau