resolv.h test proposal

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Mon Oct 25 16:27:00 GMT 2004

Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
> Thread context: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-10/msg01111.html
> Stepan schrieb:

>>>Many thanks for doing this for us.
>
>>nothing to be really grateful for.
>
>>What's really needed, is to write the AC_HEADER_RESOLV macro.
>>The existing AC_HEADER_* macros can serve as a template.
>
>>It would be nice if you or Gerrit or someone else could invest the time
>>to do it and post the patch to autoconf-patches@gnu.org .
>

> I'm sorry, I don't know enough about autoconf / m4 programming to
> integrate this into autoconf.
>
> I just use this for acinclude.m4 or put it in a file named resolv_h.m4
> under /usr/share/aclocal now:
>
> # AC_HEADER_RESOLV
> # Call AC_HEADER_RESOLV after this in configure.ac:
> # AC_CHECK_HEADERS([arpa/nameser.h netinet/in.h sys/socket.h sys/types.h])
> # ---------------
> AC_DEFUN([AC_HEADER_RESOLV],
> [AC_CHECK_HEADERS([resolv.h], [], [],
>       [[#if HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
>         #  include <sys/types.h>
>         #endif
>         #ifdef HAVE_NETINET_IN_H
>         #  include <netinet/in.h>   /* inet_ functions / structs */
>         #endif
>         #ifdef HAVE_ARPA_NAMESER_H
>         #  include <arpa/nameser.h> /* DNS HEADER struct */
>         #endif
>         #ifdef HAVE_SYS_SOCKET_H
>         #  include <sys/socket.h> /* DNS HEADER struct */
>         #endif
>       ]]
> )])# AC_HEADER_RESOLV
>

> I call AC_HEADER_RESOLV in configure.ac and this works for me(tm).

And now I have to persuade clamav folks to use this new macro where they
even brought down their whole autoconf/libtool setup by overriding the
most useful macros from aclocal.m4 in acinclude.m4 (some LIBTOOL
overrides) and creating their own way of AC_CANONICAL_HOST and some more
goodies???
Well it's still below v1.0, maybe that's why.

I'd better fix it upstream so they'll get it without any notice.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/