Avail for test: libtool-devel-1.9f_20041024-1, libltdl6-1.9f_20041024-1

Wed Oct 27 04:37:00 GMT 2004

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> libpthread should be in the list of libraries where these tests are
> skipped, like it is for libstdc++ or libgcc and others,

Nope.  MAYBE it should be skipped, like -lc and -lm are skipped.  But
libstdc++ and libgcc are a different kettle of fish.

libtool specifically checks for -lc and -lm on the command line, and has
special purpose code to ignore them when running on cygwin.  This was
done as a convenience, back before the cygwin project provided the
import stubs libc.a and libm.a, since many Makefiles blindly add -lc or
-lm to their link commands.  Now, of course, we have libm.a and libc.a
import stubs, so this convenience is no longer necessary.  But it
doesn't hurt anything, so it's still there.

(So you see, I don't really think it's a good idea to perpetuate the
no-longer-necessary convenience by adding yet another special case
library -lpthread.)

Now, stuff like libstdc++ is handled differently.  Libtool detects which
flags and libs are added to the command line by the compiler driver
(gcc, g++, etc) when linking a shared library.  Needless to say,
libpthread.a is not one of this type.

> if it is not
> included, try the snapshot Charles provided which includes probably some
> more cygwin related fixes than f-d = 2 versions before the current
> snapshot, and if this fails too, then please come back.

(a) this problem originally arose because of an error in the user's
configure.ac.  However, once that was corrected, THIS part of libtool
worked as expected (that is, correctly).  I don't want to add yet
another special case library to the -lc,-lm kludge; I'd rather *remove*
the -lc,-lm special case since, with a properly configured system, it's
not necessary.

Will address other issue in separate message.

--
Chuck