Status of nl_langinfo and CODESET

Colin JN Breame colin@breame.com
Wed Oct 27 21:21:00 GMT 2004

I've been investigating the dreaded "Can't recode string" error in
subversion.  This error occurs when a string contains characters that
cannot be converted into the equivalent characters in the users locale.

It seems that nl_langinfo always returns US-ASCII (at least on my
system), even if LC_CTYPE is set or the locale is something else entirely.

Looking at the archive indicates that cygwin doesn't have "proper"
locale support.  Does anyone know what would be required to give cygwin
"proper" locale support?

Colin