Problem with pthead.h - child's thread ending, causes main program to exit

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Oct 28 16:47:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, jdeifik wrote:

> > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, jdeifik wrote:
> >
> > > When I run the program with gdb, I get really weird segmentation
> > > faults, for example:
> >
> > http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-10/msg01033.html

Does anyone know gdb macros well enough to say off-hand whether it's
possible to write a function to ignore those particular SEGVs?

> > > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > > [Switching to thread 3280.0xcdc]
> > > 0x610b479d in random () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
> > [snip]
> > > The details of the backtrace vary a bit, but always start off in
> > > random in cygwin1.dll
> >
> > You can not trust the back trace from a stripped cygwin1.dll.  You must
> > compile your own with debugging symbols if you want to see a valid trace
> > into it.  (Hint: random is NOT where your problem is)
>
> Ok, then perhaps a non-stripped cygwin1.dll should be supplied by default
> so gdb can see what is happening.

There was a discussion a while ago about providing debugging symbols for
various versions of cygwin1.dll (both the releases and the snapshots).
Did it ever come to any conclusion?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT