Problem with pthead.h - child's thread ending, causes main program to exit

jdeifik jdeifik@weasel.com
Thu Oct 28 17:12:00 GMT 2004

At 09:27 AM 10/28/2004, you wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, jdeifik wrote:
> > Brian Ford wrote:
> > >
> > >And you know this is really what happens because...?
> > >
> > >Or, is it this bug?
> > >
> > >http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00257.html
> >
> > Doesn't seem likely, as I never call pthread_join.
>
>You missed the point of that thread.  The bug has nothing to do with
>pthread_join, but with the stdio handles being closed on pthread_exit.
>Thus, if you are trying to deduce that the entire program exits because
>you see no more stdio, you have reached an incorrect conclusion.

I deduced the entire program exits, because it exits, and returns a new
command line prompt.

I suppose it is possible that the threads all
terminated normally, except they failed to generate all of their output
because stdio got closed.

What I observed was less output than the other
threads were supposed to generate, and me getting a command prompt.
Since I saw less output that I should have, I deduced that the threads exited
rather than stdio got hosed. I also had fprintf(stderr,... code to debug what
was going on, and it stopped also.

In any event, it seems the latest snapshot fixes the problem.

         Jeff Deifik