BUG: Cygwin implementation of Debian package tools

David A. Cobb Superbiskit@cox.net
Sat Oct 30 18:28:00 GMT 2004

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> David A. Cobb wrote:
>
>> ++rm.exe    <==== getting 98% of the CPU time and not making any
>> progress.  Watching the handles display, I see an open handle on what
>> must be the first *.deb file found so I'm pretty sure of the "no
>> progress -= stuck!" diagnosis.
>

> If there is a Windows process which has a handle on a file or directory
> open, rm shows this behaviour occasionally.  e.g. try to run
> rm -rf /path/to/directory
> while having an explorer view open on this directory (or a
> subdirectory of directory).
>
> It happens i.e. often for me when using the generic-build-script, if
> invoking with install or reconf which does rm -rf .build / .inst and
> having an explorer shell open in one of the (sub)directories to be
> removed from the script -> it seems to hang and it is always rm.
>
> Maybe Reini can look into this issue, it seems he is already working
> at the coreutils sources.  But I think it is a Windows feature and
> this is probably difficult to work around.
>

> Gerrit

It's always good to know I'm not the only one getting things like this.
At least if I've lost my mind I have companions.

It's hard to see how a Windows misfeature prevents rm.exe from deleting
a file and exiting.  But, yeah, the --recurse could create  some sort of
situation I guess.  But I don't see a bunch of handles on nodes in a
directory branch -- just the one .deb file.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.