Need an older gcc version on my cygwin due to poor performance on gcc-3.x series.

Tim Prince tprince@computer.org
Sat Oct 30 18:44:00 GMT 2004

At 07:55 AM 10/29/2004, Ole Jacob Hagen wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've compiled Octave-2.1.60 with gcc-3.3.3 successfully, but the
>performance is pretty bad with gcc-3.3.3.
>
>The performance should of Octave is much better, when compiling it with
>gcc-3.2.x instead.
>
>The reason might be that the memory allocator on gnu stdc++ has changed to
>one which is several times slower,
>and therefore gives horrible performance on gcc-3.3 and gcc-3.4.
>
>Therefore it would be nice to have gcc-3.2.2-3 to my cygwin.
>
>So where can I find gcc-3.2.2-3 to my cygwin?

If you haven't built and tested the gcc of your choice on cygwin, how do
you know it performs better?  What does the -3 mean in this context?  Maybe
you're comparing performance between different platforms, or at least
different gcc targets.

Tim Prince