c:/ seems to be accessed in binary even if cygwin is configured as textmode by default

Arnaud Mouiche arnaud.mouiche@inventel.fr
Wed Sep 1 07:48:00 GMT 2004

At 19:55 31/08/2004, Larry Hall wrote:
>At 01:38 PM 8/31/2004, you wrote:
> >Hi.
> >
> >just make a fresh update (from a long time). I mount my system in
> textmode by default.
> >yet,
> >
> >c:/file seems to be accessed in binary mode
> >/cygdrive/c/file is accessed in text mode
> >
> >Is it the new default behaviour ? Is there a configuration that I missed ?
> >
> >thanks
> >
> >Arnaud

> >here a simple proof
> >
> >$ cygcheck -c | grep cygwin
> >cygwin               1.5.10-3           OK
> >cygwin-doc           1.3-7              OK
> >$ mount
> >C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (textmode)
> >C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (textmode)
> >C:\cygwin on / type system (textmode)
> >c: on /cygdrive/c type user (textmode,noumount)
> >d: on /cygdrive/d type user (textmode,noumount)
> >w: on /cygdrive/w type user (textmode,noumount)
>

>If you're using a Windows path, you bypass mounts.  Mounts map POSIX paths
>to Windows, not the reverse.

I agree with you, but it worked with old version of cygwin.
Get the possibility to tune binmode/textmode of Window path for cygwin
application looks like important to me.

The greet things with cygwin is to mix windows and unix world. I don't know
the history of cygwin, but I may suppose that the option "mount -t" was
here to get this compatibility between unix and windows.
Most of the time I use the cygwin make, sed, grep, diff, cvs in combination
with  (only) windows development tools ( especially armcc ). I use "cygpath
-m" to get compatible path for both environment. I can't use it now.

issue #1:
I start to look at this problem when tkcvs was not able any more to perform
a diff between 2 version.  tkdiff, copy the cvs HEAD release of a version
in temporary directory, then call the cygwin 'diff' to perform the
comparaison. diff compare the local file (text mode) with the one in temp
directory (c:/tmp/xxxx, so in binmode)

issue #2:
even whith cygwin "tclsh"  version,
    glob /*
returns
    C:/cygwin/bin C:/cygwin/cygwin.bat C:/cygwin/cygwin.ico ....

issue #3:
Another example: the 2 following lines don't gives the same result
     cd c:/ && grep XXXX file
     grep XXXX c:/file

arnaud