1.5.11: execvp bug (XP)

Isaac Foraker isaac.foraker@xilinx.com
Tue Sep 7 19:07:00 GMT 2004

I have run into a bug when upgrading from 1.5.10 to 1.5.11.  I use a
soft-link for /usr/bin/perl to point to the real version of Perl running
on my system.  This lets me switch easily between the Native ActiveState
Perl and Cygwin Perl.  This used to work fine, but now my 'make' is
failing when running perl.  Note: make.exe is renamed to gmake.exe in my
environment to avoid conflicts with Opus make.

#ls -l /usr/bin/perl
lrwxrwxrwx    1 isaacf   Domain U       24 Sep  7 12:44 /usr/bin/perl ->
/usr/bin/perl5.8.5.exe

</Makefile>
default:
    perl foo.pl
</Makefile>

#gmake
gmake: execvp: perl: Permission denied

<Makefile>
default:
    /usr/bin/perl foo.pl
</Makefile>

#gmake
execvp: /usr/bin/perl: Permission denied

<Makefile>
default:
   /usr/bin/perl5.8.5 foo.pl
</Makefile>

# gmake
<no errors>

<Makefile>
default:
    /c/Perl5.6.1/bin/perl foo.pl
</Makefile>

# gmake
<no errors>

I noticed that "exec" was updated according to the 1.5.11 Changelog, so
I suspect that update may have introduced this bug.  I downgraded back
to 1.5.10, and this problem went away.

Attached is the output of "cygcheck -s -v -r".

IF