cygserver service won't start

Alder FDEMCICWKAID@spammotel.com
Thu Sep 9 05:39:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

I've just reinstalled Cygwin on W2K SP4 over the Internet using
Setup.exe version 2.427 (cygcheck attached).  I ran Setup from a Windows
Administrator account.  The system itself is not a domain member; it's
simply a workgroup member on a home-based LAN.

Prior to logging in I set the system-wide environment variable
CYGWIN=server in Windows.  When I did log in I did so with the Bash
shell from the default shortcut.  One of the first things I did was
create my /etc/group and /etc/passwd files with these commands:

$ mkgroup -l -u > /etc/group
$ mkpasswd -l -g > /etc/passwd

I then ran the 'cygserver-config' script OOTB and selected to install it
as a service.  This step seemed successful as the Windows Event Viewer
lists it as 'CYGWIN cygserver' and describes it as 'Cygwin shared memory
manager'.  This description, however, is suspiciously like the one I
concocted for cygserver during my previous installation of Cygwin, even
though I deleted all temp folders and the Cygnus Solutions keys from the
registry before reinstalling.  Is it the default description, or did
Cygwin not get completely uninstalled?  FWIW, I was unable to get the
cygserver (or postgresql) running as a service under that previous
installation, hence the reinstall attempt.

The Windows Event Viewer console Application Log reports that cygserver
starts and is awaiting requests, but a split second later the Service
Control Manager reports in the System Log that cygserver terminates
unexpectedly.  The /var/log/cygserver.log file is empty, so I'm clueless
as to what might have caused this problem.  I can only guess that file
permissions are not what they should be.

If someone could suggest what I might try to get this working, I'd
appreciate it.  Thanks.

Alder