WinXP compressed dirs will work?

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Tue Sep 14 08:48:00 GMT 2004

Larry Hall schrieb:
> At 05:01 PM 9/13/2004, you wrote:
>
>>If i compress a dir in the home directory using WinXP native compressing,
>>will it work with cygwin???
>

> Yes.  Compression is taken care of by Windows at a very low level.  Cygwin
> is a layer over Windows.  Cygwin will never know the difference.

BTW: Wouldn't that be wanted?
I think of something like chattr, applied to NTFS.

Now that we have chattr in e2fsprogs, wouldn't that be a wanted addition
to recognize NTFS also, for chattr and lsattr. Otherwise it's another
e2fsprogs nameclash. Because I cannot think of a better name to modify
the NTFS index and compression flags, and in the future for the extended
WinFS capabilities.

chattr [+-]c would be quite easy to add.
SamRobb, Do you knwo if tytso thought about that? Anyway, I filed a RFE
at sf.net
For the other flags I don't know the WinAPI that good.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/