Running cmd programs in cygwin / rxvt

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Mon Sep 20 15:56:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 08:24:44AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> How could a program like rxvt possibly work without ptys?
>>
>> I have no idea. I don't know how nor why they are required. Perhaps
>> you could enlighten us? 'Cause from the outside rxvt looks just like
>> the standard windows window (albeit with more functionality) and that
>> window doesn't seem to require ptys...
>

> rxvt is a port of a UNIX program. UNIX uses ptys. Windows doesn't
> support the notion of ptys.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=define:pty

Thanks for the define:<term> thingy of Google. I didn't know that!

> If you want to run a standard windows window (i.e., a console window)
> then that's what you get when you click on the cygwin icon.

I understand that. But I like using rxvt much better WRT terminal
resizing and copy/paste semantics (as well as color and font options).

> The terminal input and output is largely controlled by windows and
> cygwin has little say over how characters are handled. If it was as
> easy as just using this, don't you think we'd have been doing this by now?

I never said it would be easy - just desired. Would it be possible to
implement a command then that says exec this with tty's instead of ptys?

--
If you mated a bulldog and a shitsu, would it be called a bullshit?