Crontab issue

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Mon Sep 20 19:02:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Mogyorósi István wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I spent quite a lot of time reading the subject and I still dont have
> clear sight on the problem. It is probably a permission/access sync
> issue between Cygwin and NT. But my case is NOT a network drive.
>
> Case 1,
> crontab -e [ logged in as Administrator ]
> 20 12 * * * /home/Administrator/mydate.sh [ my own script to exec ]
> -----
> it works with the result written in my home directory.
> mydate.sh is `date >mydate.txt`

It's a good idea to specify the absolute paths for any commands or output
files.

> Case 2,
> crontab -e [ logged in as Administrator ]
> 25 12 * * * /cygdrive/e/otherpath/mydate.sh [ my second script to exec ]
> -------------
> this does not work.
> My Error message in Eventlog is:
> bla .. bla .. /usr/sbin/cron : PID 2356 : (Administrator) CMD
> (/cygdrive/e/otherpath/mydate.sh 2>&1)

Hmm, looks like it *is* getting executed, but the output is lost?  See
the previous comment.

> The access permissions for both shell scripts are identical.
> The only difference is the path to execute.

Can you execute the latter script from the command line as Administrator?
If not, are the access permissions on both *paths* sufficient?  For a
script to be executable, all the components in the path to it have to be
reachable (i.e., the directories have to have at least the execute
permission).

> If I install the service as Administrator, and try to start it
> with the Service Control Manager it fails to start and
> I get the error message in the Event Log:
> ... bla bla .. Cygwin_cron : PID 2260 : starting service
> 'Cygwin_cron' failed : execv: 1 , Operation not permitted.

This is a different symptom -- most likely the necessary DLLs in your /bin
are not executable by non-owners (i.e., SYSTEM, which is the user cron
will run under when installed as service).  A "chmod -R a+X /bin" should
help (you might also need to fix permissions for other files/directories
under /var, and maybe /lib, /share, and /etc).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw