Running cmd programs in cygwin / rxvt

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Sep 21 05:04:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 11:57:09AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> Cygwin ttys and ptys are the same thing.
>>
>> OK how about a command that says start this Windows console mode
>> application using whatever it is that will make it happy enough to talk
>> to stdin/stdout/stderr (short of starting a new window that is).
>

> You keep offering simple-minded suggestions that boil down to "Well just
> make rxvt work with these applications that don't like cygwin ptys, then."
>
> Let me say it in big letters so that you will understand:
>
> IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DO WHAT YOU WANT.
>
> If it was possible, we would have done something long ago.
>
> I'd be thrilled to be proved wrong or to have someone point me at
> documentation which illustrates a way to do this. Until such time, just
> pounding on points from an admitted complete lack of understanding of
> the issues is really pretty pointless.
>
>>> You should be able to start a command in a new console window with
>>> "cygstart" (q.v.).
>>
>> Yes I can, however this starts it in another "Windows window" that does
>> not easily resize, has crappy copy/paste semantics, colors and fonts.
>

> And that's the one of the main features of rxvt. But there are
> trade-offs. The fact that you don't like the trade-offs and desperately
> want someone to fix them for you does not mean that the trade-offs will
> go away if you keep offering uninformed suggestions.
>
> rxvt is only a dessert topping. It is not a floor wax. No amount of
> buffing is going to give you the shine on your floor that you are hoping
> for.
>
> cgf

Well my mom always used to say: "It doesn't hurt to ask". Apparently she
never met you!

Seriously though I was just asking whether it would be possible and
trying to gain an understanding as to the issues involved - you need not
be rude about it. A simple, "that's not possible to do the way things
are set up" would have sufficed.

Seems to me that you said similar things when I asked why does a bash
process hang around when you close it via the X box on top and yet now
rxvt does kill the bash process...
--
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit...