New packge: lighttpd-1.3.0

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Thu Sep 23 09:19:00 GMT 2004

Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
> if you ask me, the PHP build system is broken.

I said before, that the php build system is horrible. Something to hate.
But it has gotten much better.
broken shared lib targets are really matter of libtool.

> I tried to build 5.0.1, I'm getting no lipphp, no shared modules,

libphp.a builds fine. Then the problem begins. But I still believe that
the problem is in my lack of understanding the dirty details of dlltool
and friends.

> libdb is not found...

same as with apache :)

> If you specify an extension and the relevant
> dependency is not available the configure exits, it is terrible, this
> sucks really.

agreed. there should be an apache-like --enable-most option, which tries
to find the installed libraries.

adding them expliticly gives you at least the configure line
output in <?phpinfo?>.

> How do I need to configure to get a shared library?  Shared modules?

shared modules are built automatically.

> Why isn't there a howto about this in the source dist included?  Who
> is responsible for this broken system?

I never cared to read their devel mailinglist. I only cared to use it,
and struggle with configure from time to time.
I didn't trust their abilities too much, in comparison to most other
languages developers (lisp, perl, ...). But I like the product!

> If I call `make libphp5.la` I get a static archive, no DLL, it is
> weird...
> I hate this package since I tried to build it the first time.

:)

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/