PCYMTNQREAIYR, it really works.

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Thu Sep 23 18:28:00 GMT 2004

Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
>>Spamming is more or less an industry now, ...
>
> All what clients can do about spam is to completely ignore all emails
> which are not from known senders, so you get just some crap through
> the lists, even no personal replies to some list postings if you have
> the sender not whitelisted, so to unsubscribe the lists is what
> remains to do, just use email to send and use news to read list
> postings.
>
> To filter out spam at the client side is not possible, I would need
> another PC just to filter my emails... saying this I think now:
> "Email is dead."

no, spam filtering works very good.
I use server-side spamassasin, which gets about 200 per day.
And then client-side the mozilla bayes junk filter, which gets the other
200 spam messages per day.

only about 5 spam msgs get through, and only about one false-positive
per week.
so I could easily switch off my spamcop.net contract some years ago.

PCYMTNQREAIYR does not help for me, since I'm FAQ author and perl cpan
author. this is a bad combination.

> We really need some *global* rules, e.g. SPF and some other, similar
> method, to get 99% of spamservers out of the internet.

hmm, this is against business interest of the large isp's.
the make a lot of good money with their "newsletter" clients.
and authenticated-only sending will not help a lot.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/