"which" command does not expand "~" in path

Sven Köhler skoehler@upb.de
Sun Sep 26 21:10:00 GMT 2004

>> Instead, the shell usually substitutes ~ or ~user.
>> Look at this the output of these commands:
>>     echo ~
>>     echo "~"
>
> This is probably common knowledge, but I learned last night that sh
> never expands ~.  Under sh, the two lines above yield the same output,
> simply ~.

I can confirm that for cygwin.
The "common knowledge" may be, because the most Linux-systems have sh
linked to bash. Cygwin seems to have a separate "sh" installed.

But is there any command that give's me the home for a given username?