Make, TMP=tmpnam => coredump

Larry larry@eBizCreators.com
Sat Apr 9 03:55:00 GMT 2005

Brian wrote:

> Anyway, assuming you're at the cygwin bash prompt, try the following

> $ make -v
> GNU Make 3.80
> Copyright (C) 2002  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
> There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

> $ type make
> make is hashed (/usr/bin/make)

> $ type gcc
> gcc is hashed (/usr/bin/gcc)

I get the exact same results when I run those commands.

Perhaps I had an error in my Makefile. Can you please try the following
Makefile that still generates the same error for me?

---------------------
TMP=tmpnam
PROGRAM=program

cc = g++ -v
CFLAGS = -ggdb
LDFLAGS=-lm

ALL= $(TMP) $(PROGRAM)

all: $(ALL)

> Also, if you just want to work around the error, try changing the
> Makefiles in your book to not use TMP as a variable name.  You don't
> want to use that under Windows...

Right. I guess I was just curious why I was having this collision.

Thanks again.

Larry