Deadlocked cygrunsrv processes with strace message "_cygtls::remove: wait 0x0"

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Mon Apr 11 13:00:00 GMT 2005

Max Bowsher wrote:
> Something about Apache 2 is causing its controlling cygrunsrv service
> process to deadlock within the Cygwin DLL when it attempts to exit.
> Attaching with strace to the hung process shows "_cygtls::remove: wait
> 0x0".
> Signals sent to the hung process are not delivered (as shown by strace),
> but
> a kill -9 will succeed.
> Attaching with gdb does show anything that looks promising.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions that could save me some time, compared to
> an in-depth study of the Cygwin DLL code in this area?

Ummmmm. Oh. Dear.

Since gdb backtrace wasn't helpful, I decided to try single stepping in gdb
onwards from the last strace output.

I found out that _cygtls.remove is being called successfully from
dll_entry(DLL_THREAD_DETACH), which returns, and the hang finally occurs
inside ZwTerminateThread() !!!
What now? Do I scream and give up?

Max.